Our Story

S.A. Morman & Co. is West Michigan’s largest supplier of architectural building materials, specializing in Division 8 and Division 10 products.

Established in 1857, S.A. Morman & Co. has been a steadfast leader in the industry, providing customers with expert knowledge, superior service and quality craftsmanship. S.A. Morman & Co. places an emphasis on life safety and security, specializing in door and hardware products, including installation, repair, and replacement, as well as bath accessories, toilet partitions, access control solutions, fire door inspections and other related services.

S.A. Morman & Co. proudly serves from two convenient locations in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo.

We are proud of our legacy and how we continue to improve our operations to better meet the needs of our customers. Take a look at how far we’ve come:

Founded

1857 - The Morman Company was founded by William Morman on the banks of the Grand River as a lime burning operation to make bricks.

Second Generation

1886 - Second generation, Samuel A. Morman assumed ownership of the company, changing the name to S.A. Morman & Co. He expanded the company into many new products during his 49 years in leadership.

Expansion

1900s - Gradually expanded into new products, including cement, plaster, windows, sewer tile and more.

Coal

1920s - Expanded into coal to keep workers busy during winter months. Coal operations allowed S.A. Morman & Co. to be maintained during the Great Depression when most construction came to a standstill.

Third Generation

1935 - Third generation, William B. Steele (son-in-law of Sam Morman) assumed ownership of the company.

Door Hardware

1950s - Began to distribute commercial door hardware.

Fourth Generation

1962 & 1977 - Fourth generation, John C. Baxter (son-in-law of William Steele) and Harry M. “Bud” Baxter (John’s brother) assumed ownership of the company and expanded operations into hollow metal products.

Fifth Generation

1986 - Fifth generation, Doug Hoogerhyde (son-in-law of Bud) assumed ownership of the company, grew operations and expanded into wood doors.

Second Location

1995 - Opened second location at 4510 Commercial Drive in Kalamazoo.

New Headquarters

1999 - S.A. Morman & Co. opened new headquarters at 1100 Gezon Parkway in Wyoming.

New Services

2010s – Expanded into new services to better suit our customers’ needs, including Ready-to-Hang, Access Control and Fire Door Inspections.